Wednesday, September 16, 2009

For Pete's Sake!

Originally posed in my other blog 16 July 2008.


The city of Al Zahbi was under siege (again!) last night, from the undead forces first followed by the beastmen.

It happens occasionally that two armies are ready to attack at the same time. Fortunately, being such thoroughly decent fellows, they follow the national equivalent of the Queensbury Rules, and wait for the preceding army to retreat before launching their own assault. Damn fine of them, if you ask me.

During the opening scene, the Generals inspire the gathered crowd of mercenaries and rogues who have joined the (NPC) soldiers to defend the city, interrupted occasionally by the overly-enthusiastic shouts of the crowd.

"For the future of Al Zahibi we shall drive these vermin from our walls!"

"For honour!"

"For Fame and fortune!"

"For my mother!"

"For your mother!"

"For a hard boiled egg!"

"For cookies!"

"What are we doing?"

"For Pete's sake!"

Yes, the pre-Besieged psyche-up can get a little silly. At least we weren't discussing politics this time.

I had managed to cajole a linkshell party together out of Shuley, Elwen, Helkadraug, Azaziel and Nullpunkt. We then allied with some other friends - the more the merrier.

The first assault was pretty much par for the course. Lots of Cures, Raises, death, running away...the usual.

However the second was hilarious.

Through the conversations, it appeared Azaziel found that Firaga was of great fun. Where Fire essentially dumps a fireball on one target, Firaga is an area-effect version. Of course, pissed-off mobs tend to take exception to being attacked, and so Azaziel was one of the White Mages' main customers for the first half. Luckily he was nowhere near me.

The area I was in was like a town square with a central tower. Around the outside of square, looking in, was a balcony. This is connected to another balcony around the tower by a couple of bridges. Access to the this top level is by sets of steps. Fairly maze like.

I was up on the tower balcony, trying to keep one of our generals alive against twenty-odd Giant Rabid Mutant Moths (GRMM) and several cave trolls. Standing well back casting lots of low level Cures was the only safe way to do this without pulling their hate. Luckily, I was also able to cast across from one balcony to another, meaning if the mobs did turn around to squish me I could run away.

So there I was quite happily spamming Cures and improving my Healing skill.

Suddenly, all the mobs, and I mean all of them, lit up on fire. Some muppet had cast a fire spell on them all.

Then, I notice standing next to me is a Tarutaru snapping his fingers and making "Whooooooosh!" noises.

Yes, Azaziel had cast Firaga on the GRMM next to the General.

All the GRMM suddenly stop attacking General Galka, and look around for the mage who cast the spell. They look at me.

I look at Azaziel , the short Tarutaru who can barely see over the parapet. I look at his mage tunic.

"Why you little twerp!" I shout.

Azaziel giggles and points at me. I look down at my identical mage's tunic.

I look at the GRMMs. They look at me.

They start to run. Toward us.

Aza runs.

I run.

What followed must have looked like something out of Scooby Doo. A Tarutaru being chased by a Mithra being chased by twenty mobs being chased by the Galka General.

All around the balconies, down stairs, upstairs, past a Mithra doubled up with laughter. Azaziel and I split up. The mobs split up. At one point, Azaziel and I pass each other going in opposite directions. Just long enough for me to slap him on the way past. I swear I also overtook a group of mobs going in the same direction as me at one point.

Eventually, of course, one hits me. Luckily before I get hit again (i.e and die) Elwen managed to hit the group following me hard enough to pull the Hate off me. Luckily he had a few people with him and were able to duly duff up the GRMM good and proper.

I was able to leg it around one more corner to heal. Where I found a panting Tarutaru in slightly tattered and singed armour, and a Hume giggling uncontrollably.

Oh, and hit level 50 as well. Go me!

No comments:

Post a Comment